An abaya is a garment that is characterized by its loose fit. It is also called by the name “aba” at times. It is basically a garment that is worn over other clothes. It is mainly worn by women of the Muslim community.
Features of an abaya
- It is a form of robe worn above clothes.
- Traditionally abayas are black in colour.
- It is actually a large fabric, especially in the shape of a square.
- The fabric is draped either from the shoulder or from the head, also termed as open abaya or can also be worn like a caftan.
- The garment covers the whole body excepting the hands, feet and head.
- A veil to cover the face excepting the eyes can be worn with the garment.
Different styles of abayas
- The basic requirement of the abaya is to cover the body.
- The contemporary form of the garment is also termed as caftan.
- The materials that are basically used to make the garment are chiffon, georgette and crepe.
- It can be stylized by either a front or a back opening.
- The style of abaya being used differs from one region to another.
- Women often wear black abaya which is the traditional format but presently other styles like embroidered, printed or brightly coloured abayas are also being used.
Wash-care of abaya
- Every day wear abayas can be easily washed by hand.
- Delicate detergent powders should be used for washing.
- If the abaya is a dark-coloured one, then special detergent powders that will help to retain the colour should be used.
- The washed abaya should be allowed to be air dried.
All in all, an abaya is a very popular form of over clothing that is used by ladies and the proper care of it can help to maintain it in a good condition is the mentioned points are kept in mind.